HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL AND CONSUMER:
- Healing Power is a self-help, self-healing model I use myself and teach students, staff, and patients if they are interested.
- It doesn’t matter where you are on the map. We all need more healing power. There is always a next step to take.
- The way forward is the universal healing wheel or pain, method, quality (PMQ).
- P = any painful problem. The problem can be physical, mental, emotional, interpersonal, or spiritual
- M = methods. There are 15 methods we use to cultivate healing qualities in response to our pain.
- Q = 100 healing qualities that add up to love
- In response to your pain, we suggest you pick a method to cultivate a quality. This is called rolling the universal healing wheel. This is universal and works for people of all persuasions.
- Those who practice the recommended methods in response to their pain will cultivate healing qualities such as love, compassion, patience, kindness, humor, forgiveness, courage, perseverance, strength, and more. When these healing qualities grow, we feel better and become better people.
- The following parables set the tone and direction for the rest of the discussion.
The Last Place They Will Look
In a Native American parable, the Creator gathers all the animals and says: “I want to hide something from humans
until they are ready for it—the realization that they
create their own reality.”
“Give it to me. I’ll fly it to the Moon,” says the Eagle.
“No, one day soon they will go there and find it.”
“How about the bottom of the ocean?” ask the Salmon.
“No, they will find it there, too.”
“I will bury it in the great plains,” says the Buffalo.
“They will soon dig and find it there.”
“Put it inside them,” says the wise Grandmother Mole.
“Done,” says the Creator. “It is the last place they
An old Cherokee Indian was speaking to his grandson. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight between two wolves. One is evil—he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good—he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too.”
The grandson thought about it for a long minute, and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”
The Guest House: Rumi
This being human is a guest house. Every morning is a new arrival. A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all! Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows, Who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture,
Still, treat each guest honorably. He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice, Meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes, Because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
In the next section, you will find an introduction to the Universal Healing Wheel.